Student Community and Resident Director
Johnson University Florida invites applications for a full-time Student Community and Resident Director. Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume/CV, and contact information for three professional references to , Executive Vice President. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Position Title: Student Community and Resident Director
Administrative Area: Student Services
Reports to: Director of Student Life
Classification: Full-time, salary, benefits
The Student Community and Resident Director oversees, coordinates, and manages the extracurricular student community and student housing programs on the Florida campus by performing the essential duties and responsibilities listed below. Both of these student support programs are designed to enhance the JUFL student’s campus community experience, contributing to student retention and, ultimately, degree completion.
Education and Experience
A bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; or three or more years of related experience and/or training; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with the Director of Student Life (JUFL) to oversee the student housing program on the Florida campus, which is designed to provide suitable on-campus living facilities and enhance the student’s residential experience.
- Implements the student housing program policies, procedures, and standard practices.
- Directs, coordinates, and evaluates student housing programs and activities.
- Assists the director of student life in preparing the annual budget proposal for the student housing program.
- Interviews, selects, trains, and supervises the student resident assistants.
- Assigns and notifies student residents of apartment and roommate assignments, and assists student residents with moving into student housing.
- Orients student residents annually and orients new student residents, as needed, to student housing standards, procedures, practices, and resources.
- Counsels student residents to identify and resolve their residential, social, or other personal challenges.
- Determines that departing student residents qualify for full or partial refunds of housing deposits.
- Assists facilities services personnel in determining the need for maintenance, repairs, and furnishings of campus apartment units.
- Serves as liaison to sub-contracted campus security personnel, particularly after normal business hours.
- Submits appropriate student housing reports to the Dean of Students, as requested.
- Maintains residence in a campus housing unity and functions as the Resident Director for men.
- Directs the student community program on the Florida campus, which is designed to enhance the residential and commuter students’s educational experience.
- Publicizes to all students the various student community opportunities available for their personal, social, and spiritual development, using multiple channels of communication, such as orientation sessions, weekly email announcements, and bulletin boards.
- Assists the Director of Student Life in preparing the annual budget proposal for student community events and activities, and executes student community events and activities within the approved budget.
- Provides administrative, logistical, and supervisory support to the Student Government Association (SGA).
- Directs, coordinates, and evaluates student community programs, events, and activities.
- Interviews, selects, trains, and supervises the student community student workers.
- Submits appropriate student community reports to the Dean of Students, as requested or needed.
- Requires appropriate behavior of students at all times; intervenes immediately when inappropriate behavior is witnessed or reported; administers consequences when a student conducts himself/herself in a manner inconsistent with institutional standards; and reports serious behavior issues to the Dean of Students as soon as it is practical to do so.
- Addresses complaints and resolves problems related to student housing and student community programs, events, and activities.
- Appraises the performance, reward, and discipline of student housing and student community employees.
- Serves on the Florida Campus Safety and Security Committee, and assists during emergency situations on campus, particularly after normal business hours.
- Participates in assessment activities related to the student housing program, student community program, and student services administrative area.
- Supports student life programs, policies, and procedures; assists with departmental projects; and provides support to the Director of Student Life, as requested or needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Equal Employment Opportunity Provider
Johnson University is a Christian university affiliated with Christian churches and churches of Christ. Its mission is to educate students for “Christian ministries and other strategic vocations framed by the Great Commission in order to extend the kingdom of God among all nations.” Accordingly, Johnson University seeks to hire and educate individuals who share its vision and core values to carry out that mission. Johnson University does not unlawfully discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment practices.
Johnson University does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information, political affiliation, or disability–if such disability may be accommodated without undue hardship—in provision of educational opportunities, programs and activities, or employment opportunities and benefits, pursuant to the requirements of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and subsequent amendments to that act, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 and subsequent re-authorization of that act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and subsequent amendments to that act.
The University, however, reserves the right under those provisions to make certain employment decisions based on religion, marital status, or sex consistent with the University’s religious beliefs when establishing qualifications for certain positions. Further, as a Christian ministry, the University retains the right to select those who serve in ministerial positions, as that term has been defined by the courts in the context of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, based on criteria established by the University without regard to Title VII, Title IX, or any other federal, state, or local law governing the employment relationship.