Johnson University Grievance Policy

Students have the right to file a formal complaint about unsatisfactory situations if all other forms of redress failed to correct the situation. Students who are dissatisfied are encouraged to communicate their concerns to the appropriate administrator. If the issue relates to classroom instruction or faculty, the student should communicate with the program director or dean who supervises the faculty member to express his or her concerns. If the issue relates to the dean, the student should communicate with the provost about the situation. If the dean or other administrator is not able to resolve the situation satisfactorily, the student has the right to file a formal grievance. They may submit a Student Grievance Form

The provost will read the formal complaint and attempt to resolve the issue with the appropriate administrator. If the student still requests a formal hearing, the provost will appoint a Grievance Committee composed of a representative from the Office of Student Services or an alternate administrator, two members of the faculty selected by the faculty representatives on the Academic Council, and one student representative selected by the president of the Student Government Association (SGA). The committee will interview the parties involved and render a judgment about the validity of the complaint and remedies for the complaint if any are needed.

We encourage students to communicate freely with the administration, faculty, and staff. Students have the right to make the University aware of unsatisfactory situations regarding grades, policies, procedures, decisions, or conditions they may experience as currently enrolled students.

SACSCOC Complaint Procedures

Allegations regarding noncompliance with accreditation standards, policies, and procedures may be made to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097. For the Commission’s complaint policy, procedure and complaint form, see the SACSCOC website. SACSCOC should be contacted only if there is evidence that appears to support Johnson University’s significant non-compliance with a requirement or standard. Normal inquiries about the University (such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc.) should be addressed directly to Johnson University and not to the Commission’s office.

ABHE Complaint Procedures

Complaints from individuals, institutions or programs, or agencies regarding an institution’s or a program’s significant noncompliance with ABHE Standards, policies, or procedures may be submitted in writing to the Director, Commission on Accreditation, at 5850 T.G. Lee Blvd., Suite 130, Orlando, FL 32822.

State of Tennessee Complaint Procedures

If the institution is not able to resolve the student complaint, the student has the right to contact the state of Tennessee and its appropriate agencies to determine the course of action.

  • Complaints related to the application of state laws or rules related to approval to operate or licensure of a particular professional program within a postsecondary institution shall be referred to the appropriate State Board (e.g. State Board of Health, State Board of Education) and shall be reviewed and handled by that board. See the Tennessee State Government website and search for the appropriate division.
  • Complaints related to state consumer protection laws (e.g., laws related to fraud or false advertising) shall be referred to the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs and shall be reviewed and handled by that unit.

Complaint Resolution Policies and Procedures for Non-Tennessee Resident Students in State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement States, commonly known as SARA

Student complaints relating to consumer protection laws that involve distance learning education offered under the terms and conditions of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) must first be filed with the institution to seek resolution.

Complainants not satisfied with the outcome of the Institution’s internal process may appeal, within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.

For purposes of this process, a complaint shall be defined as a formal assertion in writing that the terms of SARA or the laws, standards, or regulations incorporated by the SARA Policies and Standards have been violated by the institution operating under the terms of SARA.

For a list of SARA member States, please visit the NC-SARA website. Student residing in non-SARA states should consult their respective State of residence for further instruction for filing a complaint.