The Facilities Department at Johnson University invites applications for the full-time position of Landscaping Services Team Leader on the Tennessee campus. Applicants for this position should send a resume and the names and contact information for three professional references and return it via email to [email protected]. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Position Title: Landscaping Services Team Leader
Organization: Johnson University
Work Location: Johnson University Tennessee (Knoxville, TN)
Reports to: Grounds/Landscape Supervisor
Classification: Hourly, Full-Time (40 hours per week)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Assist Grounds/Landscape Supervisor and Technicians in leading Grounds/Landscape team members in the maintenance & care of campus grounds, landscape beds, trees/shrubs, roadways/parking lots, and storm water collection systems.
Under the direction of Grounds/Landscape Supervisor and Technicians,
• Assist in the daily operations of Grounds/Landscape Department
• Lead work-study students assigned to Grounds/Landscape Department
• Maintain campus turf grass health, cutting, and trimming/edging
• Maintain existing landscape plantings health and rotation, and plan/design and install new areas as required or requested
• In cooperation with the President’s First Lady, maintain White House lawn, grounds, landscaping, cleanliness of exterior house and gutters, porches, and garden areas for general and event operations
• Maintain campus tree & shrub health and trimming/pruning
• Maintain campus perimeter fencing and gates
• Maintain cleanliness of residential unit siding and gutters and commercial building flat roofs and gutters
• Maintain the collection, disposal, and recycling of campus solid waste operations
• Operate mowers, gas-powered equipment, pressure washers, hand tools, UTVs, and vehicles associated with grounds and landscaping activities
• Perform scheduled maintenance and minor equipment repair on equipment
• Assist in facilitating seasonal leaf removal
• Assist in snow removal plan
• Pest/animal control
• Assist other departments as needed with prior approval
• Other duties as assigned
• Able to analyze, organize, implement and coordinate a variety of work assignments
• Able to effectively communicate tasks to be accomplished to other team members
• Professional and able to work with faculty, staff, students, and guests
• Positive attitude toward problem solving and project completion
• Knowledge of industry-accepted methods of lawn care and basic landscaping
• Knowledge in application of weed control, pesticides, and reporting requirements
• Compliance with all applicable health and safety regulations, policies, best management practices, and PPE (personal protective equipment)
• Desire to do quality work
• Attention to detail
• Effective time management skills
• Flexibility – ability to work on multiple projects at one time
• Professional behavior, speech, and attitude
• Maintain shop area in a safe and clean manner
• Willingness to mentor work-study students
• Exemplify good stewardship of equipment, resources, and time
• Normal working hours are 7:00 am – 4:00 pm
• This job requires working outside in all seasons.
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs routinely and climb ladders and stairs without assistance
• Able to work with chemicals common to trade’s activities including, but not limited to, standard housekeeping, automotive, grounds keeping, and construction products.
• Able to work with contact to vegetation within the normal scope of grounds and landscaping duties
• High school diploma or GED
• Must be 21 years old with a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
• 2 years grounds/landscaping experience
• Lift operators training certification (current or within 1 year of employment)
• All-terrain forklift training certification (current or within 1 year of employment)
Johnson University is a Christian university affiliated with Christian churches and churches of Christ. Its mission is “to educate students for Christian ministries and other strategic vocations framed by the Great Commission in order to extend the kingdom of God among all nations.” Accordingly, Johnson University seeks to hire and educate individuals who share its vision and core values to carry out that mission. Johnson University does not unlawfully discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment practices.
Johnson University does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information, political affiliation, or disability–if such disability may be accommodated without undue hardship—in provision of educational opportunities, programs and activities, or employment opportunities and benefits, pursuant to the requirements of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and subsequent amendments to that act, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 and subsequent re-authorization of that act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and subsequent amendments to that act.
The University, however, reserves the right under those provisions to make certain employment decisions on the basis of religion, marital status, or sex consistent with the University’s religious beliefs when establishing qualifications for certain positions. Further, as a Christian ministry, the University retains the right to select those who serve in ministerial positions, as that term has been defined by the courts in the context of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, based on criteria established by the University without regard to Title VII, Title IX, or any other federal, state, or local law governing the employment relationship.