The Business Office at Johnson University invites applications for the full-time position of Administrative Assistant/Accounting Clerk on the Tennessee campus. Successful applicants should have an outgoing personality, strong computer skills, possess a high school diploma (or equivalency), and understand and support the mission and core values of the University. Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact info for three references via email to . Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Provide administrative support to the VP for Finance and the Accountant. This position will serve as support staff to the business office. The administrative assistant must possess training or experience in formal office settings, understand the protocol of educational institutions, and possess the necessary skills determined appropriate to carry out the jobs assigned.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Handle incoming phone calls for VP for Finance; handle incoming mail and other materials
- Coordinate the flow of information both internally and externally
- Maintain proper fixed assets listing
- Responsible for binding all business office reports
- Assist and support in annual budget function
- Review weekly AP invoices and Student Account refunds
- Assist with annual W-2 distribution
- Keep orderly files and all supporting documentation; set up and maintain filing system
- Assist accountant with monthly record of TMS, campus bookstore, gift receipts
- Assist and support in the annual audit function
- Distribute monthly budget reports to various department heads
- Maintain listing of all campus Visa and gas cards; distribute monthly Visa statements
- Assist AP clerk, Cashier, and Receptionist if needed
- Perform other duties as determined appropriate by the VP for Finance/Accountant in the fulfillment of the work in the business office
Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Use professionalism in communicating details of the campus operations, ensuring confidentiality, integrity, and security
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi-task and establish priorities
- Good organizational skills with a strong attention to detail including the ability to follow up on missing data or to clarify issues.
- Strong computer skills with preference in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel and accounting software.
- Honest and trustworthy
This position is primarily sedentary, working at a desk in a climate-controlled office. Some standing or walking will be required to maintain files and obtain information.
- High school diploma or equivalency
- 3-4 years general accounting experienced, preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity Provider
Johnson University is a Christian university affiliated with Christian churches and churches of Christ. Its mission is to educate students for “Christian ministries and other strategic vocations framed by the Great Commission in order to extend the kingdom of God among all nations.” Accordingly, Johnson University seeks to hire and educate individuals who share its vision and core values to carry out that mission. Johnson University does not unlawfully discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment practices.
Johnson University does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information, political affiliation, or disability–if such disability may be accommodated without undue hardship—in provision of educational opportunities, programs and activities, or employment opportunities and benefits, pursuant to the requirements of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and subsequent amendments to that act, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 and subsequent re-authorization of that act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and subsequent amendments to that act.
The University, however, reserves the right under those provisions to make certain employment decisions based on religion, marital status, or sex consistent with the University’s religious beliefs when establishing qualifications for certain positions. Further, as a Christian ministry, the University retains the right to select those who serve in ministerial positions, as that term has been defined by the courts in the context of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, based on criteria established by the University without regard to Title VII, Title IX, or any other federal, state, or local law governing the employment relationship.