Mechanical & Utility Technician
The Campus Services department is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Mechanical & Utility Technician. This position is a full-time hands-on position that performs various HVAC, mechanical, and utility tasks to accomplish project goals and objectives under the direction of the Mechanical Department Lead. To apply, send resume and references to .
Perform various mechanical and utility systems maintenance and repair tasks to accomplish project goals and objectives under the direction of the Mechanical and Utility Lead as established by the university administration.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform mechanical & utility systems maintenance & repair tasks as assigned by Lead.
- Oversee residential HVAC systems and the completion of work orders and projects in a timely & professional manner.
- Repair Facility HVAC controls.
- Perform routine maintenance on Campus HVAC systems and other equipment.
- Ensure assigned tasks are performed with quality and efficiency maintaining state and local codes and standards.
Other Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage inventory of department tools, equipment, building supplies, shop supplies, and chemicals.
- While performing required work tasks, maintain compliance with all applicable health, safety and environmental regulations standards and requirements, University policies and best management practices.
- Participate on the JU Gas Master Meter Utility committee per TN Regulatory Agency regulations and maintain JBC Gas Master Meter Utility Required Tasks certification.
- Participate in regular campus safety training sessions.
- Participate in on-call schedule rotation for evenings and weekends as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
- General knowledge of and ability to use a range of mechanical & utility systems equipment and tools.
- General knowledge of and ability to perform routine mechanical & utility systems maintenance and repair tasks.
- Able to read and comprehend manuals, technical data, and engineering prints and specifications.
- Able and willing to further education in specific requested areas of specialty.
- Able to analyze, organize, implement, and coordinate a variety of work assignments.
- Able to communicate tasks to be accomplished to subordinates understandably and cordially.
- Maintain a professional, courteous, and helpful attitude when working with faculty, staff, students, and guests.
- General knowledge of MS Office and Outlook, and other computer functions
Desired Personality Traits
- Desire to do quality work
- Attention to detail
- Effective time management skills
- Flexibility – ability to work on multiple projects at one time
- Professional behavior, speech, and attitude
- Maintain shop area in a safe and clean manner
- Willingness to mentor work-study students
- Exemplify good stewardship of equipment, resources, and time
- Must be able to sit, stand, bend, kneel and reach in the normal operation of required tasks.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs routinely, climb ladders, and crawl in tight places without assistance.
- Must be able to work indoors and outdoors in all seasons.
- Duties may require exposure to stressful and/or dangerous emergency situations.
- Travel may be required for training.
- Use of lift equipment is required.
- Must be able to work with contact and exposure to industry-standard construction chemicals.
- Must be able to work within different industry-normal air quality environments.
- Minimum 4 years HVAC mechanical and utility maintenance experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Lift operators training certification (current or within 1 year of employment).
- JUTN Gas Master Meter Utility Required Tasks certification.
- TN State Limited License Plumbing Certification
- EPA Universal Refrigerant Usage Certification
Equal Employment Opportunity Provider
Johnson University is a Christian university affiliated with Christian churches and churches of Christ. Its mission is to educate students for “Christian ministries and other strategic vocations framed by the Great Commission in order to extend the kingdom of God among all nations.” Accordingly, Johnson University seeks to hire and educate individuals who share its vision and core values to carry out that mission. Johnson University does not unlawfully discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment practices.
Johnson University does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information, political affiliation, or disability–if such disability may be accommodated without undue hardship—in provision of educational opportunities, programs and activities, or employment opportunities and benefits, pursuant to the requirements of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and subsequent amendments to that act, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 and subsequent re-authorization of that act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and subsequent amendments to that act.
The University, however, reserves the right under those provisions to make certain employment decisions based on religion, marital status, or sex consistent with the University’s religious beliefs when establishing qualifications for certain positions. Further, as a Christian ministry, the University retains the right to select those who serve in ministerial positions, as that term has been defined by the courts in the context of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, based on criteria established by the University without regard to Title VII, Title IX, or any other federal, state, or local law governing the employment relationship.