The Campus Services department invites applications for the full-time position of Head Groundskeeper. Applicants for this position should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references to . Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Provides leadership and management of the Groundskeeping department while maintaining high-quality service as established by the University administration.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Director with planning, organization, and oversight of the daily operations of Groundskeeping department
- Plan, organize workload, and oversee daily operations of the Groundskeeping department using the TMA work order system when applicable
- Oversee training and management of all work-study students and full-time hourly employees assigned to area
- Maintain a strong commitment to Johnson’s work-study programs through supervision, safety, training, and evaluation
- Ensure assigned tasks are performed with quality and efficiency, maintaining state and local codes and standards
- Order supplies and parts as required for daily operations while observing Johnson’s accounting policies
- Coordinate maintenance work with our customers and other maintenance departments as needed
- Coordinate and manage quality and efficiency of outside contractor work
- Maintain campus turf grass health, cutting, and trimming/edging
- Maintain campus tree & shrub health and trimming/pruning
- Maintain existing landscape plantings health and rotation, and plan/design and install new areas as required or requested
- In cooperation with the First Lady, maintain White House lawn, grounds, landscaping, cleanliness of exterior house and gutters, porches, and garden areas for general and event operations
- Maintain campus perimeter fencing and gates
- Maintain cleanliness of residential & commercial unit gutters, downspouts & associated drains, and commercial building flat roofs
- Maintain campus stormwater collection systems and associated system components
- Maintain campus roadways and parking lots and associated painted lines & text and signage
- Oversee collection, disposal, and recycling of campus solid waste operations
- Operate mowers, gas powered equipment, pressure washers, hand tools, UTVs and vehicles associated with grounds and landscaping activities
- Perform scheduled maintenance and minor equipment repair on Groundskeeping equipment
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage inventory of department tools, equipment, building supplies, shop supplies, and chemicals.
- While performing required work tasks, maintain compliance with all applicable health, safety, and environmental regulations, standards, and requirements; University policies; and best management practices.
- Participate in Johnson University Emergency Response Team training and respond to campus fire, medical, security and maintenance emergencies
- Carry a university radio while on duty to communicate with the Campus Services office when responding to emergencies
- Maintain pesticide and weed control application, control, and reporting requirements
- Facilitate seasonal leaf removal
- Facilitate snow removal plan as needed
- Facilitate pest/animal control services
- Assist other departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Experienced knowledge of and ability to use a range of grounds equipment and tools.
- Experienced knowledge of and ability to perform routine grounds maintenance and repair tasks.
- Able to read and comprehend manuals, technical data, and specifications.
- Able and willing to further education in specific requested areas of specialty
- Able to analyze, organize, implement, and coordinate a variety of work assignments
- Able to communicate tasks to be accomplished to subordinates understandably and cordially
- Maintain a professional, courteous, and helpful attitude when working with faculty, staff, students, and guests.
- Knowledge of industry-accepted methods of care for lawns, trees, shrubs, and flowers
- Knowledge of soil conditions for the propagation of lawns, shrubs, trees, and flowers
- General knowledge of MS Office and Outlook, and other computer functions.
Desired Personality Traits
- Desire to do quality work
- Attention to detail
- Effective time management skills
- Flexibility – ability to work on multiple projects at one time
- Professional behavior, speech, and attitude
- Maintain shop area in a safe and clean manner
- Willingness to mentor work-study students
- Exemplify good stewardship of equipment, resources, and time
- Must be able to sit, stand, bend, kneel and reach in the normal operation of required tasks
- Must be able to lift 50lbs routinely, climb ladders, and crawl in tight places without assistance
- Must be able to work indoors and outdoors in all seasons
- Duties may require exposure to stressful and/or dangerous emergency situations
- Travel may be required for training
- Use of lift equipment is required
- Must be able to work with contact and exposure to industry-standard construction chemicals
- Must be able to work within different industry normal air quality environments
- Able to work with contact to vegetation within the normal scope of grounds and landscaping
- Minimum of 5 years grounds/landscape experience and prefer college/technical degree
- Must be 21 years of age and hold a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
- Lift operators training certification (current or within 1 year of employment)
- All terrain forklift training certification (current or within 1 year of employment)
- Herbicide application certification (current or within 6 months of employment)
- Landscape industry Certification in Lawn Care and/or Horticulture
Equal Employment Opportunity Provider
Johnson University is a Christian university affiliated with Christian churches and churches of Christ. Its mission is to educate students for “Christian ministries and other strategic vocations framed by the Great Commission in order to extend the kingdom of God among all nations.” Accordingly, Johnson University seeks to hire and educate individuals who share its vision and core values to carry out that mission. Johnson University does not unlawfully discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment practices.
Johnson University does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information, political affiliation, or disability–if such disability may be accommodated without undue hardship—in provision of educational opportunities, programs and activities, or employment opportunities and benefits, pursuant to the requirements of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and subsequent amendments to that act, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 and subsequent re-authorization of that act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and subsequent amendments to that act.
The University, however, reserves the right under those provisions to make certain employment decisions based on religion, marital status, or sex consistent with the University’s religious beliefs when establishing qualifications for certain positions. Further, as a Christian ministry, the University retains the right to select those who serve in ministerial positions, as that term has been defined by the courts in the context of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, based on criteria established by the University without regard to Title VII, Title IX, or any other federal, state, or local law governing the employment relationship.