Financial Aid FAQs


What is the Johnson University FAFSA school code?
It is 003495 for all campuses.

When should I file the FAFSA?
The FAFSA is available on October 1. Visit to complete your application.

Do I have to re-apply every year?

What information is needed to file the FAFSA?

  • FSA ID for parent and student
  • W-2 information
  • Tax information for parent & student
  • Additional Info

What is an EFC?
An EFC is your Expected Family Contribution. It is an index number used by schools to determine your financial aid eligibility.

When is the FAFSA due?
The FAFSA opens on October 1, but Johnson University does not have a deadline. If you are a Tennessee resident, the deadline to submit the FAFSA for state aid is January 1.

When will the Financial Aid Office receive my FAFSA?
The FAFSA takes up to 48 hours to process once you finish your application. It can take 3-5 business days to reach your school.

What should I do if my income has changed significantly from the reported tax information in the FASA?
You may have a special circumstance and will need to contact the financial aid director with a detailed explanation of your circumstance.

The IRS Data Retrieval tool is not working.
Please request a Tax Return Transcript in place of the tool through

What is verification?
Verification is an additional review process the Financial Aid Office must conduct. About 1/3 of the population is selected for verification. If you are selected, you will need to submit additional documentation to the Financial Aid Office before you can be awarded. To find out what documents are needed, visit the financial aid section of the portal.

How long does the verification process take?
Once the Financial Aid Office has received all the necessary documents, it can take up to two weeks to complete the verification process. Stay updated by monitoring your emails and the financial aid section of

If I’m getting married, how should I file my FAFSA?
If you are getting married soon, contact the Financial Aid Office,

If my parents do not support me, do I have to put their information on the FAFSA?
Visit the Dependency Status page at Federal Student Aid to determine if you are a qualified independent student or a dependent student.

I’m an international student. Do I have to fill out the FAFSA?
No. If you are an international or DACA student, you cannot complete the FAFSA.

Financial Aid Application Process

Where can I find Johnson University financial aid forms?
You can find our forms here or by logging into your financial aid portal to get a direct copy of the document we are requesting.

Do I have to complete the financial aid check-in every year?
Yes. A new academic year starts a new financial aid process.

How do I send in documents?
Tennessee campus:

  • Scan and email documents to: Financial Aid Office
  • Fax to: 865-251-3333
  • Mail to: 7900 Johnson Drive, Knoxville, TN 37998
  • Bring it by the Financial Aid Office on campus

Florida campus:

  • Scan and email documents to: Financial Aid Office
  • Fax to 321-206-2007
  • Mail to: 1011 Bill Beck Blvd, Kissimmee, FL 34744
  • Bring them to the Financial Aid Office on campus

When will I receive an award letter?
Once all of your financial aid documents are received, the Financial Aid Office will process your financial aid and email you an award letter notification.

How do I complete the loan process?

Parent PLUS Loan: How does my parent apply?

  • Your parent will need to apply here.
  • Upon approval of the application, they will also need to sign their own Master Promissory Note.

Can a student borrow the Parent PLUS Loan?
No. Only a parent can borrow the PLUS loan.

Financial Aid General Info and Questions

What scholarships does Johnson University give?
Visit the Scholarships page to view a comprehensive list of the scholarships that Johnson gives to students.

When are scholarship applications due?

  • The majority of the scholarship applications are due before starting at Johnson.
  • Program scholarship applications have a March 1 deadline for returning students and an April 1 or 30 day deadline after acceptance date for new/transfer students.

Why are my loans less than the full amount?
It could be for one or more of the following reasons:

  • The government requires an origination fee per each loan that is disbursed to a student.
  • Your complete financial aid package could be large enough to reach your institutional cost of attendance budget. The Financial Aid Office can only award within your cost of attendance budget.
  • You may be close or have reached your aggregate loan limit.

Why is my Pell Grant less?
It could be for one or more of the following reasons:

  • You may be close or have reached your Lifetime Eligibility Used of the Pell Grant.
  • Financial information submitted in the FAFSA may have changed your eligibility for the Pell Grant.

Why did I lose my Gap Scholarship/Why did the amount change?
It could be for one or more of the following reasons:

  • The Gap scholarship has a requirement of maintaining a 2.75 GPA. If you fall below this GPA, the scholarship is removed but can be regained once you raise your GPA. Please notify the Financial Aid Office if your GPA has increased and you believe you might be eligible for the Gap Scholarship.
  • The Gap Scholarship is contingent on all other financial aid you receive. Your financial aid package may have changed, resulting in loss of Gap scholarship.

Can I regain the President Scholarship if I lost it?
No. Once the President Scholarship is lost, it cannot be regained.

Can I receive the President Scholarship if I did not initially receive it upon entering Johnson?
Yes. If after the completion of your first year at Johnson you achieve a 3.0 GPA, the Financial Aid Office will award you $900 for the year. You must initiate contact with the Financial Aid Office of your interest in the scholarship and continue to maintain a 3.0 GPA to keep the award.

What if I am receiving an outside scholarship?
The Financial Aid Office needs proof of your outside scholarship. Please have the organization send in our organizational support form.

Is there a deadline for delivery of outside scholarships?
Have the scholarship check delivered by these dates:

  • November 15 for fall semester
  • March 15 for spring semester
  • July 15 for summer semester

Why is my cost of attendance budget different from my current charges?
The cost of attendance budget is individually made per student according to the number of classes they are taking along with other specifications from their FAFSA. The cost of attendance budget is comprised of tuition & fees, room and board, transportation, books and supplies, miscellaneous fees, and loan fees. Every student MUST have a cost of attendance budget designated for them by the Financial Aid Office. The budget is typically more than the actual related charges to a student to assist with any educational-related expense the student may incur while at Johnson.

State Aid Programs

What state aid programs do you participate in?

  • Each campus of Johnson University participates in state fund programs. Recipients need to be residents of the corresponding state.

Tennessee Campus can receive the following from the State of Tennessee:

    • Hope Scholarship
    • TSAA Grant
    • Tennessee Promise
    • General Merit
    • Aspire
    • Dependent Children Scholarship
    • Dual Enrollment Grant
    • Tennessee Minority Student Teaching Scholarship
    • Tennessee Teaching Scholarships Program
  • Florida Campus can receive the following from the State of Florida:
    • Florida Resident Assistance Grant
    • Bright Futures Academic
    • Bright Futures Medallion
    • Florida Children or Spouses of Deceased/Disabled Veterans
    • Florida Student Assistance Grant
    • Florida Work Experience Program
    • Jose Marti Scholarship Challenge Grant
    • Minority Teaching Education Scholarship Program

Student Accounts

How do I check my balance?

  • Log into the Student Portal to view account activity
  • If you have questions, call 1-800-339-7043.

Are there payment plans available?

  • Payment plans are structured around each semester and are split into four monthly installments.
  • To set up a payment plan, call 1-800-339-7043 or click here to set it up online

When is tuition due? What are payment deadlines?

  • Fall – August 15
  • Spring – December 15
  • Summer – April 15

How do I make a payment on my account?

  •  Call 1-800-339-7043
  • Make a payment online at
  • Call the cashier on the Tennessee campus: 865-251-2237
  • Call the cashier on the Florida campus: 407-569-1365

Do you accept international payments?
Yes. Go to Flywire to make an international payment to Johnson University.

How can I request a refund check?

  • Visit your student account portal under “student finances” to request a refund check
  • You may choose to have checks mailed, placed in your campus mailbox, or picked up at your respective campus.

When will I receive my refund check?

  • Automatic refund checks, per your financial aid check-in selection, are processed within 14 days of disbursement of the funds on your student account.
  • If you submitted a manual request, the checks are processed differently for each campus:
    • Florida campus – If request is received by noon on Monday, check will be sent late Tuesday.
    • Tennessee campus – If request is received by noon on Wednesday, check will be sent late Thursday.

Work Study

What is student employment?
Student employment is available to on-campus students who are looking for jobs to earn additional money while studying at Johnson.

How do I apply for work-study employment?
In the Financial Aid Check In, mark your interest in work-study employment. When you mark that you are interested, there will be a link in your financial aid portal for you to complete a work-study application.

When will I know if I have a work-study position?

  • On the Tennessee campus, incoming freshmen/transfer students will be able to attend a work-study job expo at the beginning of the fall semester to apply for student employment. The work-study coordinator and/or the department supervisor will contact you and notify you of receiving a work-study position.
  • On the Florida campus, you will receive a notification by email if you are selected for placement.

What documents are needed for working on campus?
You will need to provide an original of your Social Security Card and driver’s license, or a birth certificate and driver’s license, or a US passport, and fill out an I-9 form provided by the Work-Study Office.

How many hours could I work on campus?
You are allowed to work 10 hours a week on campus. In some cases, you can apply to work more hours.

How much would I earn through work-study?
You earn on average $900 or more if you consistently work during the semester.

How will I receive my earnings?
You may:

  • Apply your earnings directly to your student account
  • Receive your earnings by check every pay period
  • Direct deposit your earnings into your bank account

Other Financial Aid Questions

What other financial aid options exist?
Other options to explore include:

  • Veterans Affairs/GI Bill recipients
  • Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Pre-Paid 529 Plans
  • Private Loans
  • Americorps