Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Accommodations

Are accommodations retroactive?
How do I communicate my accommodation needs to professors if I am eligible?
How do I take my test if I receive testing accommodations?
Is my disability information shared with my professors or other campus faculty/staff?
My instructor is not providing me with my accommodations. What should I do?
What if I need changes in my accommodations?
What if I’m not able to maintain a full time course load because of my disability?
What reasonable academic accommodations are available for students?
Will the Office of Disability Services (ODS) provide me with personal attendants or equipment?


Are there separate admission standards for students with disabilities?
If I am receiving accommodations at another college or university will I automatically receive accommodations at Johnson University?
May I meet with someone from the Office of Disability Services (ODS) when I am on campus for a tour or visit?
Should I disclose that I have a disability during the admission process?
Will it hurt my case or help my case to inform Admissions that I have a disability?

Registration and Documentation

Do I need to submit new documentation every year?
How do I receive services?
What documentation does the Office of Disability Services (ODS) need?
Where and when do I send my documentation to become registered with the Office of Disability Services (ODS)?

Transitioning from High School to College

How do accommodations differ from High School to College?
I was in a special education class (IDEA) or had a 504 Plan in high school. Am I automatically entitled to the same services that I received in high school?
If I am a student with a disability, will the Office of Disability Services (ODS) seek me out to provide services like my counselors did in high school?
What role can my parents have in helping me request accommodations from the Office of Disability Services (ODS)?

Other Questions

Do you have designated parking for persons with disabilities?
How do I request accommodations for a standardized exam offered by ETS or another outside testing agency?
How will I get my prescription medication for ADHD, depression, anxiety, etc.?
I am currently undergoing testing to determine if I have a diagnosis of a learning disability, ADHD, etc. Can I still receive services?
I need an emotional support animal. What should I do?
I sustained a temporary injury. Am I eligible for services?
If I become a registered student with the Office of Disability Services, will it show up on my academic record?
Is tutoring provided specifically for students with disabilities?
What are some strategies I can use to advocate for myself?
What are the most important factors for a student with a disability to succeed in college?
What is the process for obtaining housing accommodations?
What role do my parents have in requesting accommodations?
What should I do if I have never received accommodations and suspect I have a disability?
Where do students with disabilities receive academic advising?