The Elementary Education Grades K-6 with an Endorsement in English as a Second Language major at Johnson University introduces students to the fundamentals of teaching within elementary school and English as a Second Language (ESL) classroom settings. In addition to the Arts & Sciences Core and the Bible & Theology Core, this program includes general education courses and professional studies in early childhood development, child psychology, educational philosophy, and specialized teaching methodologies.
Students receive instruction in curriculum development and implementation, lesson preparation and presentation, classroom management, integration of a biblical worldview, and application of biblical knowledge within the teaching profession. Successful students develop their own philosophy of education based on these insights, and demonstrate their skills and knowledge through an electronic portfolio using Florida Educator Accomplished Practices (FEAP) standards.
Hands-on classroom experience enriches the program while strengthening student confidence and creativity. Field experiences expose students to elementary education in both public and Christian schools.
Students in the Elementary Education Grades K-6 with an Endorsement in English as a Second Language program benefit from Johnson’s affordable tuition and engaged faculty members who share a commitment to each student’s success.
When students complete this program, they will be able to do the following:
- Pursue the teaching profession as servants of Christ.
- Understand and apply of principles of human development with a holistic view of the child to the classroom.
- Appreciate multicultural and diverse perspectives.
- Develop and implement an effective system of discipline and classroom management based on a Christian Philosophical foundation.
- Demonstrate technological and technical skills required for competent classroom instruction.
For a comprehensive list regarding program goals and objectives, see the catalog.