Student Grievance

General Policy on Student Grievances: Students have the right to file a formal complaint about unsatisfactory situations if all other forms of redress failed to correct the situation. If currently enrolled students have complaints about policies, procedures, decisions, or conditions at Johnson University, they may submit a Student Grievance Form by contacting the Vice Provost for Academic Services, or they may submit a written complaint on the form designated for that purpose on the school web site: Student Grievance Form

Johnson University encourages students to communicate freely with the administration, faculty, and staff before filing a formal complaint. Problems can often be corrected to the satisfaction of all parties through informal communication. The administration encourages students to avoid frivolous complaints, so that staff will have more time to devote to serious matters. The Student Government Association (SGA) also exists to promote good relations between students, faculty, and staff. Many student grievances can be resolved effectively through the SGA, which interprets student opinion to the faculty and vice-versa.

The Vice Provost for Academic Services reads all formal complaints. He may appoint a grievance committee to investigate the complaint and recommend a solution. Or he may forward the complaint to the appropriate department to conduct an investigation and resolution. The vice president of the administrative unit most closely connected to the complaint receives email notification within one week of the complaint. 

SACSCOC Complaint Procedures. Allegations regarding noncompliance with accreditation standards, policies, and procedures may be made to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097. For the Commission's complaint policy, procedure and complaint form, see the SACSCOC website ( SACSCOC should be contacted only if there is evidence that appears to support Johnson University’s significant non-compliance with a requirement or standard. Normal inquiries about the University (such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc.) should be addressed directly to Johnson University and not to the Commission’s office.

ABHE Complaint Procedures. Complaints from individuals, institutions or programs, or agencies regarding an institution’s or a program’s significant noncompliance with ABHE Standards, policies, or procedures may be submitted in writing to the Director, Commission on Accreditation, at 5850 T.G. Lee Blvd., Suite 130, Orlando, FL 32822. 

State of Tennessee Complaint Procedures. If the institution is not able to resolve the student complaint, the student has the right to contact the state of Tennessee and its appropriate agencies to determine the course of action.

  • Complaints related to the application of state laws or rules related to approval to operate or licensure of a particular professional program within a postsecondary institution shall be referred to the appropriate State Board (e.g. State Board of Health, State Board of Education) and shall be reviewed and handled by that board. See the Tennessee State Government website ( and search for the appropriate division.
  • Complaints related to state consumer protection laws (e.g., laws related to fraud or false advertising) shall be referred to the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs and shall be reviewed and handled by that unit. 

Out-of-State Complaint Procedures: Students are urged to exhaust all possible internal avenues for resolution before filing complaints with external agencies. In the unlikely event that an issue cannot be resolved by the University, out-of-state students may file a complaint with their respective state licensing authority. See the Johnson University website ( for a list of student complaint processes by state.