Student Grievance Policy

General Policy on Student Grievances: Students have the right to file a formal complaint about unsatisfactory situations if all other forms of redress failed to correct the situation. If currently enrolled students have complaints about policies, procedures, decisions, or conditions at Johnson University, they may submit a written complaint on the form which is designated for that purpose on the school web site: Student Grievance Form

We encourage students to communicate freely with the administration, faculty, and staff before filing a formal complaint. These situations can often be corrected by informal communication to the satisfaction of all parties. We also encourage students to avoid frivolous complaints so that our staff will have more time to devote to serious matters. The Student Government Association (SGA) was established to promote better relations between students, faculty, and alumni. Student grievances can often be resolved effectively by the SGA which interprets student opinion to the faculty and vice versa. 

All formal complaints will be read by the Office of Institutional Effectiveness and then forwarded to the appropriate department for follow-up. (1) The vice president of the administrative unit most closely connected to the complaint will receive e-mail notification within one week of the complaint. (2) The files and follow-up documents will also be reviewed at least once each semester by a grievance committee composed of a representative from the Office of Student Services or an alternate administrator, two members of the faculty, one representative from the SGA, and other persons as required by the situation. (3) The Office of Institutional Effectiveness will file proceedings of the committee.

State of Tennessee Complaint Procedures: Should the institution not be able to resolve the student complaint, the student has the right to contact the state of Tennessee and its appropriate agency to determine the course of action.  Complaints can be filed with the following agencies in Tennessee:

Complaints related to the application of state laws or rules related to approval to operate or licensure of a particular professional program within a postsecondary institution shall be referred to the appropriate State Board (i.e., State Boards of Health, State Board of Education, and so on) within the Tennessee State Government and shall be reviewed and handled by that licensing board ( and then search for the appropriate division);

Complaints related to state consumer protection laws (e.g., laws related to fraud or false advertising) shall be referred to the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs and shall be reviewed and handled by that unit (

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
Allegations regarding noncompliance with accreditation standards, policies, and procedures may be made to SACSCOC, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097.  (The Commission's complaint policy, procedure and the Complaint form may be found on their website,

Out-of-State Complaint Procedures: Students are urged to exhaust all possible internal avenues for resolution before filing complaints with external agencies. In the unlikely event that an issue cannot be resolved by the University, out-of-state students may file a complaint with their respective state licensing authority. This link provides contact information for each state agency, as well as links to their grievance procedures:
State Contact Information