Bachelor’s + Master’s in Holistic Education
Bachelor’s + 1 Semester Student Teaching
The Teacher Education program at Johnson University is the perfect choice for anyone seeking an affordable teaching degree with a biblical foundation. This degree allows graduates to seek licensure in Tennessee and most other states and boasts a 95% graduate placement rate.
Undergraduate students choose one of several licensure options and earn a Bachelor’s + Master’s in Holistic Education (5 year plan) or a Bachelor’s + 1 Semester Student Teaching (4 1/2 year plan). Either plan allows graduates to seek licensure in Tennessee and most other states.
The Teacher Education program prepares and qualifies teachers to instruct in their chosen area of focus. It also establishes a solid foundation for higher education and additional teaching certificates.
The Teacher Education program equips students to:
- Understand and apply the principles of human development in the classroom
- Demonstrate the technical skills required for competent classroom instruction
- Grasp the factors that influence curriculum and philosophy
- Integrate global and multicultural perspectives in teaching settings
- Utilize holistic strategies and methods in teaching
- Effectively communicate from a Christian worldview
- Develop and implement a Christian system of discipline and classroom management
- Utilize teaching as a Christian profession through which ministry takes place
- Meet the standards required for licensure in a chosen area
Time in the Teacher Education program includes:
- Courses such as Educational Psychology, Literature for Children and Adolescents, Classroom Management, Research, Integration & Learning, and Survey of Persons with Disabilities.
- A student teaching practicum that provides real-world experience
- Early Childhood (Grades Pre/K-3)
- Elementary (Grades K-6)
- Middle School: History or Literature (Grades 4-8)
- English as a Second Language (K-12) and Elementary (K-6)
- Preschool and Kindergarten
- English as a Second Language (K-12)
Upon approved completion of the Master’s Degree in Holistic Education or graduate student teaching, students are recommended to the Tennessee State Board of Education for licensure in their program area. The Tennessee State Board of Education has a reciprocal agreement with nearly all other states. This means a Tennessee license is transferable to most other states and is recognized by mission and international schools. Graduates are also recommended for licensure by the Association of Christian Schools International, which qualifies them to teach in private Christian schools.
For any additional questions about the program, contact the Office of Admissions. Schedule a visit to Johnson’s Knoxville campus to learn more.